An Alumni Experience: The Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship at Leiden University


1.Why did you decide to apply for another MA at Leiden University and how different it is from CEU?

M: My central interest in the past few years has been research methods. At CEU I followed a number of methods courses which helped me obtain a good basic knowledge and an overview of the body of methods used in social sciences. I chose to enroll in the Research Master program at Leiden University because I saw this program as an opportunity to further build on my knowledge in research methods, and more importantly, to put them into practice. Therefore, it was the program itself that motivated me to pursue a second Master degree, since I found it to be a very good next step towards building myself as a researcher.

B: Having finished a one-year MA at CEU, I thought I needed more experience before I can continue either in academics or on the labor market. When I found out about this scholarship, it almost seemed too good to be true. I could choose from any subject to deepen my knowledge at the prestigious Leiden University. Since during both of my BA and my MA at CEU I was concentrating on the international security aspect of my studies, I wanted to widen my scope. I especially wanted to move closer to the European Union and its energy and foreign policy. This scholarship not only allowed me to learn the theoretical ramifications of these topics at the university, but also to put them into practice closer to the so-called center of the EU. With Brussels being very close and other nearby cities also offering working possibilities at NGO’s, the current year helps me immensely in realizing my interests on the labor market.

2.About the Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship, please give us some insights and tell us what do you like the most?

M: With the Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship one does not get only funds to pursue a degree at the prestigious Leiden University, but a lifetime lasting family as well. Since my arrival at the fairytale-like Leiden, the PL people have made my stay as welcoming as possible.  

B: The Praesidium Libertatis scholarship allowed me to study and live in a completely different environment with many professional and leisure possibilities. Marija and I are living in a beautiful traditional Dutch house just in the very center of the city very close to the University campus. It is just next to a canal with amazing sights around. We got to know the family of PL students on fascinating programs organized by the scholarship. These people were not only friendly, but showed us an example of successful follow-up possibilities after the scholarship. Ultimately the PL scholarship brings you the unique atmosphere of Leiden with long-lasting effects on career development.

3.What are your future plans after your studies?

M: It is very difficult to predict what the future holds, however, given my current interests and ambitions, I would like to pursue a PhD, and an academic career.
B: I am planning on finding a position in an EU institution or another NGO in my field. After developing my career in the public sector for some time, I am planning to collect sufficient knowledge for a PhD later on. Whether I will end up in public policy or an academic institution only time can tell, but in any case I am looking forward to it.

4.What is your best memory of your time at CEU?

M: There were many interesting moments in my two years spent at CEU. I will certainly remember forever the never-ending race against time to finish all assignments, but more importantly, the team-work, solidarity, and friendships.

B: CEU is a very unique institution both because of the quality of work being done there and also because of its vivid background. It helps one develop passion for his/her field of interest and provides the knowledge and people to help it realize. On the other hand the colorful background of both the students and the teachers ensures the engaging debate and provides the background for solving complex global problems. Every day I entered CEU or met a fellow student I learnt something new, or encountered a challenge worth tackling. Ultimately the people at CEU make the university what it is: a promoter of an open and free society.

5.Do you have any advice for the prospective Praesidium Libertatis applicants from CEU?
M: I would advise all prospective PL applicants to carefully look at the offered programs and the faculty members, since what you do, and who you do it, with may have a great importance in determining your future, especially if you are planning an academic career. And of course, put time and effort into the applications, to have a better chance of winning this prestigious scholarship!

B: First of all have a particular aim in your mind. What do I want to get out of this scholarship? How will this help my education and career? Look into both the possibilities inside Leiden University and the courses offered, but also the where it is situated in Europe. With that in mind, start looking into the application details and make sure you formulate both why you are the best suitable candidate for the scholarship and also how exactly PL will help in your professional development.

Interview by Torotcoi Simona, Praesidium Libertatis Alumna (PhD Student in Public Policy)

Marija Aleksovska comes from Macedonia, where she finished her BA in Political Science. She continued her studies at the two-year MA program in Political Science at CEU. Currently she is enrolled in the Research Master in Political Science and Public Administration at Leiden University, following the Public Administration track.

Barnabas Kádár is from Budapest, Hungary. He has a BA in International Relations at Eötvös Loránd University. A year ago he was accepted to the one-year MA in International Relations and European studies at CEU. Right now, he is doing a second one-year MA in European Union Studies at Leiden University.

0 comments:

Post a Comment