Rock’n Budapest on a Budget – Four Tigers Chinese Market


With our remaining days in Budapest receding all too quickly, and new restaurants, bars, and clubs opening faster than I can experience the old ones, I resolved to explore a minimum of one new spot each week. My latest adventure took me to the enormous, and relatively hidden, ‘Four Tigers Chinese Market’.
Finding out where it was located and how to get there was rather tricky, as there isn’t much information available online, at least not in English. The market starts at the meeting point of Hungária krt and Kőbányai út, so there are 3 trams that can take you there; the 28 and 62 running from Blaha, and the 1 running through Hungária krt. However, if you are leaving straight from school your easiest options is to jump on the number 9 bus which departs every ten minutes right behind the Basilica.
Once you arrive you will be greeted by signs, sounds and smells you probably never expected to find in Budapest. I lived in South East Asia for a year, and, fittingly, the closest comparison I can make is to the markets there; bustling with life and full of every kind of trinket imaginable – most of them cheap and/or cheaply made. I did end up purchasing a carnival mask, iPhone charger and shiny metallic jacket, each for less than 1000 forint. 
While I was hoping to find many Asian food options as well, almost every stand was only selling gyros. On a bit of wandering however, I did find a bowl of delicious soup full of thick broth, vegetables, chicken and homemade noodles. The market is huge though and, without a map, I might have missed a section dedicated strictly to dining.
Overall, I highly recommend checking out the market, which is open seven days a week, although more stalls operate on the weekend. It was an exciting experience and a good way to break the same tried and true routine that can be so easy to get into. Make sure to bring your camera too as there are endless photo opportunities! Please feel free to email me if you have any specific questions, or want an adventure buddy. It’s easiest to do so at grahamhollandpatterson@gmail.com.



Now get out there and rock Budapest!

Graham Patterson, Public Policy, USA
Photos by author


0 comments:

Post a Comment