Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship at Leiden University - Alumni experience

The best combination between No One Has The Monopoly On The Truth and Protector Of Freedom is nothing else than Praesidium Libertatis Scholarship at Leiden University.
Since we kind of missed hearing the other PL alumni experience, we (Simona and Olga) decided to give you, prospective Praesidium Libertatis candidates, some insights from our experience in the Netherlands.
When I (Simona) first saw the call, I quickly skimmed the CEU mail notice and clicked “Next”. I took me a while to come back to it and decide whether I would like to go for another MA or start finding a job. That time I was studying within the Public Policy department and I was enrolled in the one-year program. Taking in consideration that I simply loved the program and it was quite a big shift from my previous studies I decided to go for PL and get more insights into the field and study Public Administration in Leiden.  I received my application answer quite late, almost middle of August (do not lose your hope!) and I almost got panicked: accommodation, travel, money, etc. – and I had few more days to submit my CEU thesis! “Adios Summer Holidays!” I was struggling with finding accommodation as soon as possible since the Zero Week was starting with the last week of August.  “Once I will get there things will get better… just to get place to sleep” these were my only thoughts.
After my thesis submission I went to Netherlands, meanwhile got accommodation in The Hague, registered for courses, all done! I knew none there, the weather totally different from what you have in Budapest: rain, wind, a bit of sun, some ice pellets- all of these in 10 minutes. But what makes Netherlands special are the bikes, the green spaces, the seaside, its history and of course the amazing people around you, especially your colleagues and the faculty members.  

The Praesidium Libertatis is surely dedicated to develop knowledge and science! It is thanks to it that I (Olga) am now studying at the research master program in Public Administration and Political Science of the Leiden University. My program lasts for two years and is a research track. Classes have a similar to CEU format: we discuss articles, having seminars and lots of presentations.
As you will notice when you arrive at the university, the quality of the classes and all the researches is very high. The university was founded in 1575 and since them it has been the “home” for several renowned changemakers, such as the King Willem-Alexander and the current Prime Minister Mark Rutte. In 2013, it was ranked by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings as the best university in the country and the 64th in the world.
My Dutch experience started with applying to the program in February 2013 and dealing with visa and arranging accommodation throughout a summer. If you need visa as well, better start arranging your documents as soon as possible, it does take time!
Leiden has very little accommodation for international students, so it was quite challenging to find something. Nevertheless, once accepted to the scholarship, be sure that Praesidium Libertatis Foundation will take care of you and will help if any problem appears: since this semester, the foundation has its own house and scholarship holders can stay there!
Leiden University has a program of a peer mentorship, which I totally recommend, where a Dutch student of the university can be your mentor. Mine helped me not to get lost around the city, supported me a lot when I was a newbie in Leiden and now is a good friend of mine. And, in general: do get involved into opportunities provided by the university and the city, all student, sport and study associations are great and fun ways to get to know more people and especially to meet the locals.
Leiden is a small city of about 120 thousand people, but is full of students, so there are always tones of things to do. International community is big here, and organizes activities from weekly international nights in local pubs to Movie and Cooking clubs. Leiden itself is a charming, and a typically Dutch town, with its mills and canals, which you will pass every day by bike heading to the faculty.
In case you prefer bigger cities, The Hague is just 15 minutes away by train! It is bigger and has a vibrant expats community. If you are into politics, especially peace topic, The Hague will be an excellent place for networking and learning. The city has several UN agencies located there, famous and large, as well as small NGOs, Dutch government.
If you are looking for a second master’s degree, the Praesidium Libertatis scholarship will offer you the best alternative! Get good grades and go for it!
See you in Leiden!

Olga Sholderer
Simona Torotcoi



Check the details at http://www.ceu.hu/admissions/financialaid/other/praesidiumlibertatis! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment