Little Delights of a Historian’s Life: The Diary of a Field Research Trip


If you are not acquainted with the joy of being a historian (or a history student at CEU) this report should convince you that going on a research trip is the highlight of a historian’s life.
Stepping into the archive (especially if it is for the first time) is an unforgettable moment. The moment when I received folders containing research materials I had ordered still brings smile to my face today (even if at the time, the reaction was somewhat different!).
When the archive was closed, besides deciphering my sources, a usual touristic plan was in action. Belgium is great: a week in Leuven, a day-long trip to Antwerp and a weekend in Brussels gave me a rich insight into this not-so-big, but very memorable country.
Day 1.  A sleepless night=>Ferihegy=> Charleroi Airport=> Bus to Brussels => Train to Leuven=> Hostel => Not so easy to enter!
On the website this hostel was described as a “very domestic one”. I began to understand what this might mean when I have arrived and found a note on the front door saying: “Don’t ring the bell. There is no reception. Call +43…” No phone with me => no way to get in, except – to ring the bell! Luckily it worked. From a prolonged period of staring at the front door, I was saved by a maintenance man, who took pity on me and called the manager.
Day 2. Language
Surprisingly, considering my fear of speaking French, I didn’t face many challenges with language. Leuven is famous for its international and Flemish population. The only language you hear around is Dutch (Which was not much help for me unfortunately.) Luckily, English is not “terra incognita” here. Therefore – I had no problems with communication.
Day 3. Chocolates
Everybody new to Belgian sweets cannot stay away from the chocolate shops and colorful display windows with waffles, macaroons, chocolate figures, creams and sauces. Of course, I carried out a thorough tasting of all these foods in just a week's time. Even McDonalds here is producing delicious confections. 
Day 4. Catholic University.
The university is situated in a third part of the city, and is the oldest Catholic University in Belgium, founded in 1425. Students eat in the cafeteria “Alma” and relax in subject-divided cafes. (For example, Café “Politika” welcomes political scientists.)
Day 5. The fountain "Fonske"
Full of students and bicycles, Leuven impressed me with its tiny streets, early closing time for shops (6pm) and a specific style of monumental architecture. I was observing one of these monuments for a long time, trying to understand the intention of the sculptor, Jef Claerhout. I must admit – with little success. The sign “Fons Sapientiae” – Latin for “Source of wisdom” sounds very promising. But it has a hidden humorous meaning – a hint to the university's motto 'Sedes Sapientiae' (the Seat of Wisdom). Besides that “Fons” is a popular Flemish name
p.s. Due to limited space, I will have to skip the rest of my stories and observations and continue working on my thesis. :)

Olha Pushchak, Ukraine,
History

0 comments:

Post a Comment