Meet The CEU Weekly Team



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CEU WEEKLY!


It has been a year since I have joined the CEU Weekly team. Looking back at my work as a member of the Editorial Board and then as Editor in Chief, makes me feel proud of all the accomplishments of the newspaper in this academic year: the increase of the newspaper’s popularity and circulation, the increase of visitors on our blog, and the support gained from the University.  All these things helped us to consolidate the newspaper and to prepare it for the next academic year.  These accomplishments would not have been possible without the efforts of my colleagues in the Editorial Board, and without the support and guidance of Rodrigo Avila B.

Florin Zubascu
Editor in Chief



Justina PoskeviciuteAs someone who has some experience in the field of journalism and simply enjoys writing, I was very glad to have discovered that CEU had its own student-run newspaper. For me personally, The CEU Weekly has provided a great platform for pieces of various topics: from international politics to CEU community to events in Budapest itself. When I think about it, it is absolutely incredible how diverse our content is: an interview with a prominent Hungarian politician can be in the same issue with a satirical piece on Valentine’s Day while an article on the present conflict in Mali can be published right by a photo report on a dance party in Budapest. That is why I think The CEU Weekly is so important for our community: not only is it another outlet for our skills to develop, but also for our diversity to show. Also: no-one is as knowledgeable as we all are together, right?  



 Olya Pushchak - The newspaper at CEU is like a sharing pot of opinions – always gives you a chance to say what you think, and filling this “pot” with content was always an interesting and prolific process. What I like the most about being a co-editor at CEU Weekly is a special feeling one might have every second week while turning pages of a super - fresh issue of a paper that had just arrived from the printer. And even if the issue wasn’t ideal or had unnoticed typos, holding that paper in my hands always felt good. I’m glad to be in this great team of creative and dedicated people. 




Razi Zaheer Saidi - I am a pursuing the MBA program at the CEU Business School. I am originally from India but have worked and lived all over the globe in the last 14 years. Working at the CEU Weekly team was a great experience as every comes from a difference background and culture. The CEU Weekly team represents the very Ethos of the University, where students from all over the world come together to make a melting pot of sorts of Cultures, Experiences & Knowledge. 





Julia MichalskyUnfortunately, I have only managed to join the CEU Weekly team in the second semester. I enjoy writing about things that go along with my interests and do not necessarily deal with the topics I am dealing with during my classes. In my opinion, a student run newspaper is essential for any university to offer students a common place to express themselves and highlight the things that are important to them. Personally, I want to write more about student-led activities as well as places and events outside of CEU to encourage our readers get involved in things other than their MA topics. In addition, I hope to recruit a more diverse group of contributors for the CEU Weekly during the next academic year.  


 Agnes Kelemen I am studying Jewish Studies and Nationalism Studies at CEU. Previously I graduated in history. I joined The CEU Weekly because I found it an exciting task to inform the international CEU community about what is going on here in Hungary. I wrote some articles before to a youth camp’s journal, however The CEU Weekly is my first experience in working in an editorial board. Through this work I am learning a lot and at the same time I am part of a community as well.




Maryna ShevtsovaI always liked writing but it never went further than millions of posts in my personal blog.
So, when I joined CEU community, I thought it might finally be a great opportunity to do something more serious and public than write for narrow circle of my friends.
Except of great journalist experience, what you get at the CEU Weakly team is extremely warm and friendly environment, lot of interesting discussions, tons of inspiration – and then, sometimes we have great parties!
I guess I enjoyed the most writing articles about student life at CEU and, of course, I was really pleased  whenever I could write something related to Gender studies ;-)

 Erik Kotlarik - The CEU Weekly embodies more than anything else the spirit of the Central European University. Each of its members comes not only from different country, but also has a different background. Lawyer works here with environmentalist, person from gender studies with historian. Not only cooperating together, overcoming obstacles together, but most importantly, creating something tangible. In the era where everything is dematerialized and ephemeral, each issue of the CEU Weekly is palpable and lasting. . Therefore I am glad that my voice have become part of its story. Although to be honest, all that work, all those meetings and extra deadlines were sometimes a real pain in the ass…    


0 comments:

Post a Comment